Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Story Behind the Snoop Name Change

After a recent trip to Jamaica, Snoop Dogg experienced an epiphany of some sort. The Dogg formally known as Snoop has changed his name to Snoop Lion and has changed his focus in music from rap to reggae. While on vacation in the Bob Marley homeland, Snoop is said to have discovered his inner Rastafarian. In an interview in front of press, Snoop sat alongside his producer Diplo to announce that his latest album Reincarnated is strictly a reggae project. As to why he wanted to try a different genre, Snoop said,
"Rap is not a challenge to me. With no disrespect to other rappers, but they can't fuck with me in rap ... I've won every accolade you can get in rap, they call me 'Uncle Snoop' in rap. When you're an uncle, it's time to find something new ... I want to feel like a kid again."
Snoop also explains he wanted to open himself to a broader audience.
"I've always wanted to perform for kids and my grandmother, people around the world who really love me and can't really accept the music that I make. This reggae music is music of love--happiness and sadness."
The album does not have a release date; however the first single “La La La” (listen below) is available on Itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment